Ellipse Data are industry leaders in aggregating and manipulating sports data to create products and services that enrich the experience of sports fans and teams around the world. We currently operate in cricket, tennis, and rugby, with ambitious plans and financial backing to apply our philosophy and expertise to expand into other sports.
Our team of highly skilled developers, engineers, data scientists and editorial analysts work with and create products used by international boards, global broadcasters, media groups and some of the most recognisable sporting teams in the world.
Ellipse is now in a position where its data products and analysis is used in sports competitions around the world, and an Ellipse client may be using our data at any minute of every day throughout the year.
Ellipse want to ensure the full story behind every sporting moment can be told and anticipate data will continue to change how coaches, athletes and fans all talk about the game. We are seeking a Data Engineer to join us in helping the sports industry make better use of the vast data that it now generates. As a Data Engineer you’ll be responsible for helping to define and build our horse racing data platform which will be the foundation to our success in this sport. In addition to making sure our data is centralised, unified and accurate, you will be working in tandem with our data scientists to collaborate on features and putting their models into production. In a rapidly growing company, you’ll also be surrounded by experienced people from across the sports industry. This role is remote with some travel to London required for team meetings. .
The role will have several responsibilities including:
- Ingest and merge data from multiple internal and external sources
- Build and maintain robust, resilient and reliable ETL pipelines
- Collaborate with the data science team on feature engineering and model productionization / monitoring
- Ensure data is stored in an efficient and accessible manner
- Monitor data quality for accuracy and completeness
- Reduce/remove roadblocks for the data science team to drive down time to insight
- Design, develop and deploy APIs for internal and external consumption
- Experience working with a cloud solution (Google Cloud, AWS, Oracle, Snowflake, etc)
- Experience with AWS data services
- Familiarity with pipeline orchestration tools (Airflow)
- Fluency in Python or similar language and experience with Flask or a similar framework
- Experience working with complex relational databases as well as NoSQL
- Experience with ETL systems and data modelling
- Experience developing and deploying scalable APIs
- Familiarity with distributed computing options and large-scale data storage (Spark, Dask)
- Motivated to work in a fast-paced start-up environment where your initiative will make things happen.
- Comfortable learning new technologies with limited support.
- Driven to constantly learn, grow and improve.
- Knowledge of horse racing and preferably some understanding of the horse racing analytics space.
- Passionate about building things and helping the team operate at its best.
- Obsessed with accuracy and correctness.
- Able to own projects and see them through to completion against deadlines.
- You’ll work with large data sets and complex problems that no one has yet solved.
- We’ll want you to build relationships with the cross-functional groups across our business, including engineers and analysts, to maintain a flow of new ideas that are aligned with customer needs, our roadmap and our mission.
- Anticipate future technological and competitive changes that will impact our plans.
Equality and Diversity:
Ellipse is committed to building an open and inclusive culture that supports personal development and learning. Ellipse believes in the principle of equal opportunity in employment and its employment policies for recruitment, training, development and promotion despite any differences based on individual grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment.
- 25 days holiday
- Flexible working times
- Remote working
- Company pension scheme
- Access to cricket matches at The Oval, London
- We have amazing people. If you love sports, data and technology we can promise you will work with some of the most ambitious and intelligent people in a fascinating industry.
- We’re only just getting started and have all the right ingredients to disrupt the sports industry. Joining us now will take you on an exciting journey that you will play a key role in defining.
- We encourage our people to have constructive, open and honest communication; to innovate and create smart solutions; establish a collaborative, yet challenging environment to develop.
- We are challenging ourselves to become a high-performance company. That means we maintain an ambitious mindset in everything we do, and our people are always looking for ways to do things better.
To apply, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Data Engineer – Horse Racing”. Please also include any examples of work demonstrating the above skills (e.g. blog post or GitHub repo) and/or a covering note outlining your relevant experience.
We cannot promise to respond to all applicants due to the volume we receive.